Church of St. George on the Poklonnaya Hill: address, photo
The temple on Poklonnaya Hill is perhaps the most famous Russian Orthodox church built at the end of the 20th century. It is located in the capital on Poklonnaya Hill. In fact, on the territory of the famous memorial complex called Victory Park, created in honor of the victory in the bloody war over the Nazi invaders. It is worth noting that the chapel dedicated to the Archangel Michael belongs to this temple.
The Church of St. George on the Poklonnaya Hill was laid by Patriarch Alexy II. This happened in December 1993. The construction was carried out very quickly, because as early as May 1995 Alexy consecrated it.
Works performed by famous masters. The architect was the Muscovite Polyansky, Chashkin worked on the iconostasis. Famous bronze bas-reliefs are the works of Tsereteli and Anjaparidze. Mosaic icons - merit Klyuchareva. The walls of the Church of St. George on the Poklonnaya Hill were painted by an artel specially hired for this work under the name "Joy", which was led by Alekseev.
Many researchers note that modernism can be seen in the appearance of the church, which is generously added to the classic Russian style.
Almost immediately after the end of construction, there was a debate between supporters and opponents of the temple about how successful the place of its location was. Many hold the opinion that it is extremely unfortunate. Mainly due to the fact that the statue of the pagan ancient Greek goddess of victory Nike is located nearby. Her image is crowned by a 140-meter obelisk in Victory Park.
It is worth noting that in the Church of St. George on the Poklonnaya Hill, not only services are conducted. At the cult institution there is a Sunday school for children. The temple is also engaged in the education of minors in the orphanage for people with mental problems.
The most famous shrines
The Church of St. George on the Poklonnaya Hill, a photo of which is in this article, is famous for its Orthodox shrines. It is because of them that many people come to this particular Orthodox cathedral.
The main one of them is a particle of relics that belong to the Orthodox Great Martyr George the Victorious, in whose honor this temple was named.In 1998, she was presented to the Russian Orthodox Church by Patriarch Diodorus from Jerusalem. Then she was transferred to the temple of the Great Martyr George the Victorious on Poklonnaya Hill.
How to get there?
It is best to get here by metro. It is necessary to go to the station "Victory Square". Nearby there are many notable places. This is a museum dedicated to the war with fascist Germany, Victory Monument, a memorial synagogue, memorials to soldiers and officers who went missing, soldiers-internationalists, defenders of the Russian land.
Special mention deserves Victory Park on Poklonnaya Hill. The Church of St. George is located directly on its territory. This is one of the world's largest complexes and memorials. The total area of the territory exceeds 130 hectares. It is dedicated to the success of the Soviet army in the Great Patriotic War. Its grand opening took place in 1995. He appeared in the half-century anniversary of the victory over fascism.
The place for such a meaningful park was chosen by chance. After all, Poklonnaya Gora is mentioned in the chronicles of the mid-14th century. And in 1612 it was at this place that hetman Zolkiewski camped.A delegation came to him from the capital, wishing to see the king of the Polish prince named Vladislav.
The main thing, in 1812, the French emperor Napoleon on Poklonnaya Hill was waiting for the capital boyars. But they did not bring him the keys to the city.
Along with the temple to which this article is dedicated, the main attractions of Victory Park are the museum and the monument dedicated to the victory over fascism. The latter is a huge obelisk, with a height of 141 meters and 80 centimeters. Such accuracy is not random. It was 1418 days that the war lasted. The total weight of the monument is about one thousand tons. It depicts warriors, as well as illustrations of key battles with the Nazi invaders - the Kursk and Stalingrad battles, the Belarusian operation.
An important role in the temple plays a Sunday school. It has several hundred children. Classes are held on Sundays, immediately after the end of the weekly liturgy. The teachers are priests with pedagogical, theological or musical education.
After all, the list of subjects that are held in a Sunday school is different.These are the law of God, the catechism, the Holy Scripture, church singing, arts and crafts, Church Slavonic. Sunday school pupils regularly go on pilgrimage to holy sites.
Also, with her always celebrate Orthodox holidays. Children perform with theatrical performances.
There is also a youth club at the temple. It is called "Akaluf". Over a cup of tea, there is a discussion of current issues of modern life, organizing lectures and discussions.
Thematic classes on theological disciplines, pilgrimage to holy places. Meetings with the clergy are not excluded.
Club members meet on Fridays every week. Its participants go to cinemas, to church-wide events, seminars and classes.
Priest Dionysius Lukin is responsible for working with young people.