How do I remove the brake disc?
Watch the video
Brake discs are one of thethe most important components of the braking system of the vehicle. Each car owner must periodically inspect them, as well as carry out some preventive maintenance work (for example, clean discs from rust). In some situations, it may be necessary to replace these parts, so you need to understand how to remove the brake disc.
Types of discs and their wear and tear
To begin with it is worth noting that in the carthere are rear and front brake discs. As practice shows, the first wear out much faster. It's the drivers who are more likely to face the problem of how to remove the front brake discs.
In this case, it is important to pay attention torecommendations from manufacturers of a specific model of auto. The wear level of these parts will depend on the conditions of use of the vehicle, your driving style, etc. For example, if a person prefers speeding, the replacement may be required after eighty thousand kilometers of run.
Replacing brake discs
Procedure for installing and dismantling brake discsis standard (with the exception of some minor design nuances of different models and brands of vehicles). So, remove the brake disc as follows:
- We fix the vehicle by means of "shoes".
- Raise the necessary side with the help of a jack.
- We put the tripod and remove the wheel.
- We dismantle the brake system of the operating point (this must be donebefore removing the rear brake disc).
- We remove all dirt from the surface of the support and the hub (in this way, you eliminate the need to replace the bearing).
- We unscrew bolts which fasten a brake diskand the hub. Please note that at this stage you may need an assistant. He must press the brake and firmly hold the steering wheel.
- We remove the brake clamp and fix it (for this you can use ordinary wire) so that it does not damage the hose.
- We disassemble the support unit: we remove the brake pads, the clamping springs, and the caliper bracket.
- Reliably fix the hub, completely unscrew the bolts and remove obsolete brake discs.
Additionally, it is recommended to install updated brake pads. When replacing the discs, be sure to perform the bleeding of the brakes.
As practice shows, the replacement of brake discsprovides not only high professionalism of the performer, but also a competent choice of the necessary details. For example, the ideal solution is the purchase of disks with perforations. Of course, the issue of buying spare parts for all motorists decide in their own way. However, always give preference to the original details from the official manufacturer.
If you need to replace not only the discs, but also the pads or tighten the brakes, information about this can be found in the Brake System section.