How to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer: step by step instructions
If you spend most of your time at your computer monitor, chatting with friends or Skype colleagues, or just want to listen to your favorite songs, then you cannot do without a special headset. A very common question is how to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer. After all, at first glance, there is nothing difficult in this process: I connected the plug to the right jack - and everything is ready. Unfortunately, not everything is so simple! First, there are several types of headphones. Secondly, you need to properly select a headset for your operating system. Third, more often than not do without manual settings. In general, this procedure will require attention and patience from you.
The first thing to do is to determine if you have an audio card installed on your computer. Its usual location is the motherboard or a separate connector in the system unit.If it is absent, then this device needs to be purchased, since without it headphones will not work. After buying a sound device, you need to install the appropriate drivers. By the way, an inexpensive model is also quite suitable for communication, the main thing is that it has socket connectors for the necessary headset.
Then you need to carefully read the instructions in order to identify where the headphone jack. Usually, there is a special icon next to each connector. Also, each jack has its own color: the microphone is pink and the headphones are green.
So how to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer?
First of all, you need to insert the connectors from the headphones and the microphone into the corresponding jacks on the back panel. By the way, in new models of computers, the connection is made through the front wall of the system unit. Sometimes after these manipulations, the headset starts to work, but in most cases you need to make manual settings. The next step is to check the driver for the sound card. Each program installs them by default, but the best option would be to install native software.If you are convinced that a special program is on your PC, but the headset still does not work, this is what needs to be done. Go to the recorders tab and assign the microphone as the default device. In the event that this column is not displayed, then click on the right mouse button and select "Show disabled devices".
If the headset does not respond when connected through the front wall of the system unit, then you need to go into the sound card driver and do the following:
- if you have an audio driver from Realtek installed on your PC, then you need to select the “Disable front panel input definitions” function;
- if your software is from VIA, then go to the front panel settings and select AC97 instead of HD Audio.
Connecting different types of headphones
No matter which headset you use, the main thing is to figure out which connector to connect it to. And if necessary, pick up an adapter, which eliminates the occurrence of a circuit and, as a consequence, a device breakdown.
Connection of different types of audio equipment will be discussed below.
- A device with a microphone.This model has two connectors.In order to connect them to a PC, you need to find a jack labeled mic. Another important point: for high-quality headphones, you need to properly configure the software on your computer. This can be done in such a simple way: select the start window, go to the “Control Panel” and open the “Sound” function. Then open the "Record" window and check if the microphone input is on, if not, connect.
- Professional devices.This refers to headphones that are used on radio stations and television. Its main difference is the plug, which has a diameter of about 6.5 mm. Such devices can be connected to a regular connector, but do not forget to purchase a special adapter. According to experts, this connector is very stressful nest, which threatens with its failure. There is another way when the adapter can be made independently. For this you need a plug with a diameter of 3.7 mm and a 6.5 mm socket, which must be connected with a wire to a copper core.
- Old equipment.Headphones that have an old 5 din plug (DC-VG) can not be connected to a PC without an adapter. You can do it yourself.Radio technicians know that these connectors are located on the old TDS brand headset. And although this technique is outdated, but in terms of sound quality, it is not inferior to many modern models. To do this, you need a tool like an ohmmeter. With it, you need to check the pinout pinout connector: if it is connected between the input and the joint channel of one of the two contacts, then you will hear clicks in one. In that case, if you heard the characteristic sounds in two channels, then they have a suitable connection. After you have identified the channels corresponding to the stereo jack, make an adapter. All that is needed is an ordinary ONC-VG connector, which has 5 contacts and a jack-type plug with a diameter of 3.6 mm.
So we figured out how to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer, no matter what equipment you want to use.
Such a headset has recently enjoyed great popularity. This fact is explained by the fact that more and more users communicate via Skype and use such equipment for similar programs.Also, these devices help keep your network mates connected. However, there is a problem: they often do not want to work on older PCs that are not equipped with the corresponding female connectors.
How to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer (Windows 7) to the back panel? First, for this you need to determine whether there is a connector for the stereo headset on the system unit. After that, you need to make sure that you connect the appropriate cord to the stereo jack. This ensures high-quality sound and long-term operation of the device.
How can this be verified? To do this, you need to carefully look at the plug, it should be depicted 2 black lines. If you didn’t notice them, you don’t need to connect the device, since a short circuit may occur, which could lead to equipment failure. If you use ordinary headphones, then be sure to buy a special adapter, which eliminates the risk of fire. You can buy it in a store of radio engineering or make yourself.
The most suitable option for connecting to the back panel is a standard stereo device with a 3.6 mm jack cable.In this case, the headset can be connected directly to the green jack of the audio card. If the connectors do not have a color difference, then you can navigate by the Phones icon, which is always located near the desired jack.
Front panel connection
Nests for sound devices on modern models of system managers are most often placed on the front wall. And it is very convenient, because all the connectors are visible and it is easy to find the one that is needed.
Before connecting a sound headset to your PC, regardless of the operating system, you need to install software from Realtech. These are the most popular electronic control devices that can be found in almost every system man.
How to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer on the front panel? The procedure is as follows:
- First, pay attention to the jacks: the one that is intended for headphones, has a corresponding icon next to it. The microphone must be connected to another connector. As already mentioned, next to the nests, you will see special icons. In addition to images, the plug can be distinguished by color: headphones are green, and microphone is pink.
- The second step is to launch Realtek, which you will find in the tray. For those who do not know, the tray is a notification area or one of the toolbar items on the desktop. In the window that appears on the right you will see the jacks for connecting audio devices. The active connectors will be highlighted with a bright shade, and those that are turned off will be slightly blurred. To activate them, open the folder with the parameters of the jacks, which is located at the top of the menu. After its opening you get access to their management. Then you need to select the "Turn off detection of front panel connectors" function, after which you will be able to identify the jacks to which you want to connect headphones.
- Then you need to connect a microphone. Open the "Select devices" and in the list select the icon of headphones or microphone. It is strongly recommended to check the new headset, for example, on a smartphone. Since there is a risk that you will spend a lot of time connecting faulty sound devices.
- Simultaneous connection of headphones and speakers. There is an opinion that they can be connected only to special sockets, but this is not so.You can solve this problem with a fairly inexpensive splitter, to which you can connect two or more audio devices at once. But before this, make sure that your amplifier will withstand such a voltage.
Setting the headset on "Windows 7"
This operating system is very popular in this issue. How to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer (Windows 7)? Step by step instruction is as follows:
- First, you need to determine the purpose of the jack: stereo or not. If this is so important to you, then plug the appropriate stereo plug into the audio jack. The best option is headphones with a 3.6 mm jack connector. In this case, the connection goes directly to the green socket. If you purchased a professional headset, you need to make or buy an adapter, because such equipment can damage the audio jack. If the headphones are old, then you can't do without an adapter, which you need to do yourself.
- Then you need to configure the software. For this operating system is best suited for the driver from Realtek.After it starts, activate the disabled connectors. Then, via the “Connector Settings” option, check the “Disable the definition of connectors on the front panel” box. After these manipulations, you will find the jacks to which you want to connect sound devices.
- If the software is OK, and the headset still does not work, then you need to perform the following steps. Go to the tray folder and open "Recording Devices", where the default device is a microphone. Otherwise, activate the "Show off devices" item.
- If the headset does not work through the front panel of the system unit, then you need to go into the audio card program and fix something. If your driver is from Realtek, then you need to select the function “Turn off front panel mounting”, and if VIA, go to the settings and select AC97 instead of HD Audio.
So we figured out how to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer ("Windows 7").
Setting up the headset on Windows XP
Setting the headset for different operating systems varies. But there are several points that need to be fulfilled, no matter what type of Windows is installed on your PC.First of all, you need to check if there is an audio card on your computer. If there is no sound device, you need to purchase and install the appropriate software. If you need a sound headset only for communication, then you can buy a standard, inexpensive model with connectors for sound devices.
Then, by identifying images or color differences, you need to determine the location of the sockets for sound devices. Next, connect the headset and start chatting, listening to music, etc. If the headset does not respond, you need to make settings.
How to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer (Windows XP):
- First, you need to adjust the microphone. To do this, go to the “Control Panel” and open the “Sound and Audio Devices” item, after which you need to open the “Speech” option.
- Then through the "Volume" go to the "Settings" and go to the "Properties", where you need to select the item "Microphone".
- Check if the microphone is turned on, then go to “Record Level” and adjust the sound through the “Settings” item.
- After the appearance of the dialog box, you need to highlight the words "microphone gain".If there are noises or a characteristic whistle, you need to remove the device for talking away from the speaker.
- Return to the Speech tab and check the operation of the equipment. Done!
Setting up the headset on Windows 8
This operating system is relatively new, and therefore for many it is not clear. It is for this reason that setting up sound devices seems like a daunting task. However, it is not.
How to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer (Windows 8):
- First, you need to find the appropriate connector for the connector, and you can find it on a special image. If you connect the headset through the back wall of the system unit, then navigate by color.
- Then you need to go to the "Search", to do this, move the mouse cursor to the upper right corner of the screen. Find the “Sound” option in the context menu and open the “Record” tab, where you will see active recording devices.
- Under these devices, you need to find an empty column, on which you should click the right mouse button. After this action, 2 items “Show off devices” and “Show disconnected devices” will open. They need to be activated, after which you can check the performance of the sound device.
This is the answer to the question of how to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer (Windows 8).
Connection via "bluetooth"
The only model that works on the basis of Bluetooth technology is wireless headphones. In addition, it is necessary that your PC has a special adapter, which is usually sold in a set with sound equipment.
So how to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer (Windows 7) via "bluetooth"?
There are 2 types of adapters: external, which is connected to the USB-port and internal - it requires the installation of the driver.
To do this, go to the control panel "Windows 7", find the column "Device Manager" and open it. You will see a list where you need to find the "bluetooth" device. Then, using an auxiliary program (utility), activate the adapter on the PC. To do this, you can use the Blue soliel program, which is suitable for this operating system. Next, follow the instructions in the manual, connect the headphones. And finally, check whether they appear in the list of "bluetooth" devices. Then you can check their performance.
So we figured out how to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer ("Windows 7").
Connection for "Skype"
The popularity of this service is increasing every day, as it is a very convenient method of communication. For its normal operation, you can do without high-speed Internet, but without sound equipment in any way.
The most popular operating system today is Windows 7. That is why more and more often users have a question: how to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer (Windows 7) for Skype? Step-by-step instruction:
- First of all, you need to connect the plugs to the right connectors: headphones - in green, and the microphone - in pink.
- There are wireless sound devices with a radio transmitter that you need to plug into the USB port. Then you need to turn on the headphones, after which the monitor will display a notification that the device is turned on and ready to work. If there is a disk with special software in the hardware kit, then it should be installed and run.
- If after this procedure, the microphone does not work, then you need to perform the following steps. In the control panel, select the item “Recording equipment” and open the “Record” tab. In the list, find the inscription "Microphone" and activate it.
- Additional settings can be made in the Skype program settings.
So we figured out how to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer for Skype.
It is regrettable, but difficulties in the work of sound equipment arise quite often. Thematic forums discuss the most common problems associated with a headset for PC. And among the questions is leading "How to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer on Windows 7?" . And all because the annoying problems occur quite often on a PC that works on the basis of this operating system.
Common headset issues:
- No sound.Solution: check the plugs when buying.
- The nest does not work. Solution: you need to check the jack, for this, connect to it working headphones or speakers.
- Incorrect settings in the mixing console. Solution: go to the tray, open the “Sound” option and configure it.
- The PC does not find a sound device. Solution - go to the “Task Manager”, open the “Sound, video and gaming control devices” tab and click on the “+” sign. If you see a question mark in front of a device in the list, then you need to update the audio card software.
Follow the recommendations of experts and then the question of how to connect headphones with a microphone to a computer (Windows 7 maximum), you will no longer arise.