Neuralgia of the trigeminal nerve - treatment. Inflammation of the trigeminal nerve - symptoms
An ordinary person, far from medicine, simply cannot know all the diseases that can be encountered at a certain stage of life. In this article I would like to talk about what is trigeminal neuralgia and how to cope with this problem.
What it is?
At the very beginning it is necessary to determine the concepts that will have to operate in this article.
- Neuralgia is a dull burning pain that occurs along the path of the nerve. Most often, people are confronted not only with trigeminal neuralgia, but also with facial and intercostal neuralgia.
- The trigeminal nerve is the most sensitive nerve of the face. Doctors distinguish such branches of the trigeminal nerve:
What causes the pain that a person experiences during inflammation of a given nerve? This occurs when the artery with the nerve and the vein contact at the base of the skull, which causes irritation.Why can the trigeminal nerve inflame? The reasons may be as follows:
- Nerve can squeeze improperly located blood vessels of the brain.
- Circulatory problems in the vessels of the brain.
- Brain tumors.
- Hypothermia face, head.
- Infection of certain areas of the face. Permanent sinusitis, and even caries, can irritate the trigeminal nerve.
- Multiple sclerosis. Since in this disease the nerve cells are periodically replaced by connective tissue.
What are the signs of diagnosing “trigeminal nerve inflammation”? Symptoms in this disease are pain that can appear in any part of the face.
- If the first branch is inflamed, pain will be observed mostly in the eye area. "Give" will be in the temples, the nose, the frontal lobe.
- If the second branch is inflamed, the pain will be concentrated mostly in the upper jaw. The pain can "move" from the upper lip to the temple and back. It is also worth saying that this pain is easily confused with toothache.
- If the third branch is inflamed, the pain is first felt in the chin, then it can spread to the lower jaw and the ear.
Now it has become extremely clear how pain spreads if a person has trigeminal inflammation. Symptoms in this disease can also be confused with symptoms of other diseases, such as, for example, temporal tendonitis or problems with teeth. That is why, at the very first symptoms, it is important to seek medical help so that the correct diagnosis is made and proper treatment prescribed.
Types of pain
Pain in this disease can be of two main types:
- Typical pain. Periodically may subside. Character shooting, reminds electric shock. Pain occurs when touching to certain areas of the face.
- Atypical pain. The nature of her permanent, it affects most of the face. In this case, the treatment is more difficult and long.
A few more words about pain
It is worth saying that only for one pain you can make such a diagnosis as trigeminal neuralgia.
- Most often, the pain will be one-sided.
- Its attacks can worsen with the advent of cooling.
- The frequency of painful attacks can be different: it varies from a couple of attacks a day to the occurrence of pain every 10 minutes.
- The duration of attacks: a few seconds.
- Pain can occur not only during touching the face, but also during brushing, chewing food and even talking.
- Most often occurs suddenly.
- It spreads along branches of the trigeminal nerve.
- Pain can increase over time, increase.
How can I make a correct diagnosis of trigeminal neuralgia? Diagnosis of the disease should be carried out exclusively by a doctor. Independently, you can make a mistake with the diagnosis, and compare the symptoms with a completely different disease. What will the doctor do?
- Neurological examination with assessment of pain.
- Palpation of the face. Needed to determine the extent of damage to the trigeminal nerve.
- MRI - magnetic resonance imaging.
- Computer diagnostics.
If the patient has trigeminal neuralgia, treatment of this disease can be carried out in various ways. So, it can be conservative, that is, you can prescribe medication, physical therapy. Treatment can also be radical. In this case, minimally invasive procedures are used, as well as surgical intervention.
Conservative problem disposal
As mentioned above, if a patient has trigeminal neuralgia, treatment may be conservative. What can a doctor write out in this case?
- Antispasmodics. These are drugs that relieve pain, significantly alleviating the condition of the patient. These medicines can be prescribed in isolation, but most often these drugs are used together with anticonvulsants. Example: the drug "Baclofen" is attributed together with the drug "Phenytoin" or "Carbamazepine".
- Anticonvulsant medication. To stop the pain associated with inflammation of the trigeminal nerve, doctors most often prescribe a drug like Carbamazepine. You can also use other drugs of the same group: it can be drugs such as "Lamotrigin" or "Gapapentin". The dosage of these drugs, if necessary, may be increased. However, this can be done only with the permission of the attending physician. It is also worth remembering that this can lead to such side effects as nausea, dizziness, fatigue, drowsiness.
If the patient has inflamed the trigeminal nerve, the treatment can take place with the help of alcohol blockades. Their main goal: freezing the trigeminal nerve. After this comes the analgesic effect. With this treatment, the drug ethanol is injected into one of the branches of the trigeminal nerve. Relief comes almost immediately, the pain can disappear a maximum of a day. But then she returns anyway. If the nerve damage is rather severe, the effect of these injections is not as long. The number of injections allowed varies by the degree of the disease and is prescribed exclusively by the doctor. This treatment also has its disadvantages. This method is fraught with the following complications:
- Damage to blood vessels.
- Damage to the nerve itself.
How will the process of alcohol blockade take place if a patient has inflammation of the trigeminal nerve on the face? Drugs for neuralgia, which the doctor may prescribe:
- Conductive anesthesia. First, an injection of the drug "Novocain" (2%), dosage: 1-2 ml.
- And only after that the doctor injects a few ml of 80% alcohol necessarily in combination with the drug "Novocain".
It is necessary to say that this procedure should be carried out exclusively on an outpatient basis, because it requires skills and abilities.
How else can you get rid of such problems as inflammation of the trigeminal nerve on the face? So, in some cases, the patient may be prescribed surgery. What can a doctor do in this case?
- "Release" the nerve from the pressure on the vessel.
- The trigeminal nerve itself or its node may be destroyed. This is done in order to arrest the pain syndrome.
It is worth saying that such operations are minimally invasive.
If the patient has trigeminal neuralgia, the treatment can be carried out by means of radiosurgery, such as cyber-knife or gamma-knife.
- Gamma Knife Innovative tool in radiosurgery. With this intervention, the patient puts on a special helmet on his head. Gamma-rays are sent to the pathological focus and thus relieve the patient from the problem.
- Cyber knife In this case, the treatment is also carried out with a weak dose of radiation, but here the helmet does not wear. In this procedure, the radiating head works, which itself finds the pathological focus and “removes” it.
There are many advantages of this method of treatment. First of all, it is a non-invasive intervention.This eliminates the risk of bleeding and other complications that may occur during normal surgery. Also, the patient does not require hospitalization, there is no preoperative preparation. It is also important that anesthesia is not required. And another huge plus of this method of treatment: there is no postoperative period. After the procedure, the patient can immediately return to their daily business.
Other ways to combat this disease
If the patient has trigeminal neuralgia, treatment can be carried out in the following ways:
- Decompression of vessels. In this case, during surgery, the nerve will be “freed” by the patient. The very same vessel doctors can both dislodge and remove. This procedure can be carried out if the patient has abnormal placement of vessels in the cavity of the skull. However, after such an intervention, it is still possible to return the pain syndrome. In addition, it is also possible the occurrence of such complications as facial numbness, double vision, hearing loss, and even stroke.
- Balloon compression. In this procedure, the doctor inserts a catheter into the trigeminal nerve site, at the tip of which a small balloon is placed.It gradually inflates, causing the nerve to burst. This treatment is carried out with CT or MRI. Nuance: after these actions, the disease may return. Complications such as partial facial numbness or weakness of the masticatory and facial muscles may also occur.
- If a trigeminal nerve is afflicted in a patient, treatment can be carried out due to such a procedure as a rhizotomy. This is the nerve crossing that is responsible for the pain. In this case, frequency rhizotomy is possible, when only the edge of the nerve is destroyed under local anesthesia. But radiofrequency trigeminal rhizotomy is also possible, when the doctor inserts a special needle under the base of the skull. It gives a small impulse, which leads to the destruction of the nerve. It is worth saying that this method is used most often in the treatment of elderly people, as well as patients with multiple sclerosis. The effect of this procedure lasts a long time. The pain may appear at least several years later.
If a patient is diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia, medication is not the only way to get rid of this problem.You can also try to cure various folk remedies.
- To prepare the medicine, you must chop the onion, potatoes and pickled cucumber, pour all of the diluted vinegar into a gruel. The resulting mass must be insisted about 2 hours. At this time, we must remember that the medicine must be shaken. This is best done every 15 minutes. And only after that you can be treated with this tool. Compresses are made of it, which are placed on the affected areas of the face twice a day - in the morning and in the evening. Compress hold on the face for 1 hour.
- If a patient has inflammation of the trigeminal facial nerve, it is possible to apply juice from black radish for treatment. It must only be rubbed along the nerve into the skin. This should be done three times a day.
- You can also make a healing infusion. To do this, one tablespoon of yarrow herb pour a glass of boiling water. Then everything is infused for at least 1 hour, filtered. The medicine should be taken one tablespoon three times a day 10 minutes before the main meals.
- If the trigeminal nerve is inflamed, treatment can be carried out using fir oil.It must be rubbed into the skin about 6 times a day. It is best to use a cotton pad for this. Do not be afraid if the skin in the place of rubbing turns red and swells. The pain will soon subside, the burn will go away, and the problem will not be disturbing.
- People say that ordinary boiled eggs help to cope with the pain. If the patient has inflamed the trigeminal nerve, you need to boil one hard-boiled egg, clean it, cut it in half and apply to the skin in those places where the pain is localized. Soon the disease will disappear.
- An ordinary chamomile tea can cope with the pain. It is very simple to prepare it: 1 teaspoon of herbs should be poured with a glass of boiling water, a little bit to insist. The medicine is ready. Now you have to take tea in your mouth and keep it there for a long time.