Orthophosphoric acid: use and safety
Among all the variety of acids, orthophosphoric acid occupies its place of honor. Its application in certain spheres of industry has long proved itself.
Meet, orthophosphoric acid
What does this chemical look like? This liquid is practically colorless or with a yellow tinge. At room temperature, it exists in the form of solid crystals of rhomboid shape. Typically, such an acid is called a solution of 85% concentration, which is a liquid like a syrup with complete absence of odor. Orthophosphoric acid is highly soluble in water and many solvents. For example, in ethanol. If the temperature exceeds 213 degrees when heated, this substance turns into pyrophosphoric acid.
There are 2 varieties of this substance:
- food acid;
Orthophosphoric acid: use
To date, this chemicalis in demand in many spheres of production. Where only does not occur orthophosphoric acid. Its application can be divided into 2 types: in the food and non-food industries.
Nutritional orthophosphoric acid
This species is used for the manufacture of certain products. For example:
- As a regulator of acidity in the production of carbonated beverages.
- As an acidifier in the composition of cheeses and melted cheese.
- In the production of certain types of sausages.
- In bakery as a component of leavening powders.
- When making sugar.
This substance in industrial production has its own designation - antioxidant E338.
Non-food orthophosphoric acid
In many spheres of production, it is impossible to do without a component called orthophosphoric acid. Application of it is necessary:
- In agriculture. Especially in an industry such as fur farming. A solution of this acid is included in the feed of mink for the prevention of urolithiasis of animals.
- In science, it is used for research that is conducted in molecular biology.
- In production, it is used as a flux when soldering on stainless steel, copper.
How to deal with rust?
The answer is simple: orthophosphoric acid will help you. The use of rust against this substance protects against corrosion. The thing is that it, unlike many others, is safe for metals. Treatment with an orthophosphoric acid surface promotes the appearance of a protective film, which prevents further damage. It can often be found in the means that are produced to combat rust. Therefore, it is used in the hotel and restaurant business.
Harm of orthophosphoric acid
However (along with the advantages) there are also disadvantages of using orthophosphoric acid.
- It can increase the acidity of the body and thereby break the balance.
- It has a negative effect on calcium. It displaces it from teeth and bones. Previously, orthophosphoric acid was often used in dentistry to remove enamel. The use of it was banned recently just for this reason.
- Daily use of this substance in food can lead to vomiting, nausea, and lack of appetite.
- Getting on the skin, orthophosphoric acid causes severe chemical burns.
Whatever the case, the use of this substance is allowed in the countries of Russia, the EU and the former CIS. With rational and skillful use of orthophosphoric acid brings great benefits.