What is studying economic geography as a science: features and its role
For many people, it will be a discovery that economic geography studies the laws of the development and control of spatial-temporal systems that occur in the interaction of social masses and nature. Discipline is very dynamic, therefore it is of great importance for the placement and improvement of production forces. Often under it refers to the socio-economic geography in general.
The object and subject of study
Since economic geography is a science that studies the same laws and interconnections as other disciplines, it has its own object and subject of study. The whole basis is built on these concepts.
Under the object of study, it is customary to mean the geographical environment that people have mastered. Nature lives by its own laws, but can change under the influence of the public.Thus, the object of science should be considered human economic activity, developing in certain conditions.
As for the subject of study of science, it implies the study of the features of the geographical distribution of objects of social production, as well as the conditions for their improvement in a particular region. It follows from this that economic geography studies the patterns of location of economic regions and the territorial organization of people's lives.
Between the geographic shell and the formation of social foundations, there are no well-defined areas in which economic activity develops. The value of natural conditions may be diametrically opposite at different stages of human history.
However, production forces are created and improved not only under the influence of society. They are influenced by the laws of nature. The level of use of natural geographic processes in the interests of people is becoming higher with each more technologically advanced production method.
Relationship with physical geography
On the one hand, it can be argued that studying physical and economic geography is almost the same. However, the first discipline is separated from the second. It is part of the socio-economic science. Despite a certain isolation, the relationship still exists.
The economic discipline does not examine the geographic environment, does not study the territorial-production zones, does not characterize the states, industrial centers. Geographers in economic activities are more interested in why certain sectors are formed in a particular locality, and what resources are used.
Proximity to social geography
There is a close relationship between economic and social geography. Disciplines often overlap with each other. Therefore, it can be said that two of these sciences are studying socio-economic geography at once, since they are its separate parts. It successfully unites them in itself, being a system exploring the territorial organization of social life.
What is the manifestation of such an organization?
- In the placement of territorial units (states, localities, regions) on the surface of the planet.
- In the presence of links between existing objects.This is reflected in transport movement, the exchange of information and energy.
- The appearance of territorial entities in the form of economic centers, industrial sites and special resettlement zones.
- In the operation of existing systems on the earth's surface directly in time.
It becomes clear that studying the socio-economic geography of two branch directions in economic activity. It provides knowledge about certain forms of territorial structure of public life. Competence in this discipline allows you to rationally meet the needs of people, because resources are limited.
Therefore, asking about why studying socio-economic geography does not make sense. The answer lies on the surface.
The considered discipline combines theoretical positions directly with practical solutions in the field of production location and the development of economic structures. The effectiveness of economic improvement and improvement of people's well-being largely depends on it.
The standard course of development of science involves the following procedure:
- Description process
- Explanation of provisions.
- Forecast for the future.
- Formation of a new object.
It is clear that studying the economic and social geography of the world is a complex task. Often, difficulties arise when managing and creating other objects. For example, it may be necessary to determine whether it makes sense to colonize empty areas. After all, such attempts will cost dearly. The thing is whether there will be a positive result.
From the above information, it is easy to conclude that he is studying economic geography, but it is also necessary to know which scientific methods are used. There are only seven of them.
- The program-target method is of particular importance for the quick solution of a whole complex of tasks that cannot be postponed for a later period. Developments in this case are carried out taking into account the territorial binding and temporary restrictions.
- The method of constructive analysis is based on the principle of a phased solution of established problems. With this option, long-term programs are developed for the development of territorial systems, while taking into account their features.
- Balance method is one of the main discipline. It provides the ability to choose the optimal proportions between industries.In this case, it is possible to determine the resource requirements of territorial units.
- The cartographic method can be considered specific. The location of production forces in a particular region or state is vividly shown only by geographical maps that are the subject of study.
- The method using economic-mathematical modeling is used in the course of research to identify problems with the placement of production structures. If necessary, a lot of options are worked out in terms of territorial combinations.
- The index method allows you to determine the purpose of economic regions. Specialization of specific areas makes it possible to achieve maximum efficiency in production processes.
- The comparative-geographical method aims to compare the productive forces through mathematical calculations and techniques.
The use of these research methods contributes to the optimal location of production forces, the formation of a more efficient territorial structure and the rapid development of the region as a whole.
What is studying the economic geography of Russia?
The Russian Federation is a country with a vast land space. The transition to a market economy raises questions about the reorientation of priorities in the location of production structures. An important role is played by the development of forms of interaction between individual subjects. For proper placement of objects it is necessary to know many regularities.
To understand why it is necessary to study the economic geography of Russia precisely in this direction, it is necessary to look at the scale of the country. Unlike most states of the world, its territory is very large, which makes normal interaction between the subjects difficult. A qualitative redistribution of production forces is required.
Characteristic features of the discipline
According to N. N. Baransky, the science under consideration has the following features:
- activity and close intertwining with the practical part, allowing to determine the future development of all regions;
- complexity in the presence of specificity and detailed research;
- improved technical training of economic geographers.
There should be no doubt that the economic geography of the conditions and features of economic zones is studying.Conducted research is aimed at providing certain categories of individuals or the population of countries in general with the necessary resources. Only with a well-developed territorial structure, participants can meet their needs. Irrational allocation of production facilities will necessarily lead to a shortage of funds for the conduct of the normal functioning of people.