What should I do if bitten by a tick. What if a tick bites a child, a cat, a puppy
In the warm period, when people often like to be in nature, more and more often people go to medical institutions who are bitten by a tick. The most interesting thing is that no one knows what to do. Although the mechanism of the correct actions for this case is quite simple. There are many ways to remove the tick, treat the wound and undergo the necessary examinations.
Tick - who is it?
Few people know that a tick is not an insect at all, although it is very similar in appearance and size. It directly belongs to the class Spider-like, a subclass of Arthropods. When it is time for vacations or long holidays, and the good weather attracts us, without thinking about the consequences, we rush into the forests and mountains. Just in these areas ticks the most. Avid fans of hiking and recreation in the countryside love to argue about where these animals live: on the grass or trees. Experts warn that they can be everywhere.Just ticks can climb a tree or a bush only when the vegetation is not more than half a meter. In extreme heat, you are unlikely to meet this type of arachnid, they do not like it. Prefer cool morning or evening hours and night. Attack the victim rapidly, but the place for the bite is sought for a long time. Therefore, if something felt, try to immediately shake it off the skin. By the way, the behavior of female ticks is very interesting - they not only bite, but also suck blood, which means they increase in size. The males, on the contrary, prefer to simply bite and can themselves unhook from the victim. Therefore, when finding a bite, even without a tick, an urgent need to consult a doctor. There are some varieties of these animals that are capable of enduring terrible diseases: borreliosis, encephalitis, hemorrhagic fever and typhus. Therefore, the answer to the question of what to do if a tick bitten should be known to each person in order to be able to provide first aid to the victim.
How to remove the tick from the bite?
Of course, when there is an opportunity to go to a medical facility immediately, it must be taken advantage of.Otherwise, you must do everything yourself. The main thing is to calm down and not make unnecessary movements. Understand the greatest danger of the tick, if it is really a carrier of viruses and diseases, in its long stay at the site of the bite. Therefore, the task is set - the tick should be removed in the shortest possible time. In order for the animal to be correctly extracted, a special device was invented that looks like a curved hook with two teeth. Thanks to the latter, the whole body of the tick easily engages. To smoothly remove the parasite from under your skin, turn the hook several times and gently pull the tick towards you. Then it will turn out to remove him with his head and proboscis. Of course, not everyone has such a tool, so they often use tweezers for such purposes. It happens that the body of a tick comes off the head, and it remains under the skin. Do not worry, expose your device to high temperature and stretch the remaining piece. The wound will need to be urgently treated with an antiseptic (alcohol, iodine). When all actions are successfully completed, do not forget to take the tick to the laboratory for testing, where specialists will check it for the possibility of transmitting any infection.
Required studies and analyzes
Many believe that if a tick is removed from the site of the bite, then nothing else needs to be done - this is the main mistake. Just after that, the main work is carried out, aimed at your full recovery. Remember a few simple steps that will help avoid tick infections from various infections and viruses.
- Of course, the first thing that needs to be done is an analysis of the parasite itself, which is delivered to the appropriate laboratory in the first two hours. It is by the results of this study that it will be possible to judge the danger of the tick. After all, the disease itself probably will not manifest quickly, and treatment is already required.
- What to do if a tick bit in an unfavorable area, that is, where is there a high probability of spreading, say, encephalitis? Contact the hospital where they will promptly give you the vaccine. Often, it has no side effects, but it can cause allergies (rare cases). If doctors have suspicions of another infection, which carries a tick bite, then you will be offered to take drugs based on interferon. Antibiotics will not be discussed yet, since their action can only aggravate your condition.
- Of course, even if the tick analysis shows a negative result, and you doubt it, you need to do the simplest research - to pass a complete blood count. He is able to show some changes in the state of your body, and you will take appropriate measures. By the way, urgently donated blood is definitely not necessary. In such a time it will not show anything, it is necessary that 1 or 2 weeks pass.
First signs of infection
Of course, all these processes occur so slowly in our body that right after the bite, we don’t need to run to the laboratory. If the infection has come to you, then its first signs will appear only in a few weeks (the term can go up to a month). Often these symptoms are as follows:
- A condition that resembles the onset of a cold: aching joints and whole body, headache and dizziness.
- Redness around the bite appears on average in 70% of cases. It looks like an inflamed area of skin in the form of a ring.
- The body temperature in this case is not the main indicator, since it can be at a normal level for a long time.
Doctors report that encephalitis is much betterthan other infections and viruses transmitted by ticks, since antibodies to them begin to be produced in the human body very late, and it is not possible to determine whether there is something from a blood test. Therefore, if there are any deviations in their condition after a tick bite or when leukocytes increase in the blood, immediately go to the doctor, in time prescribed drugs can save the situation.
If the tick bit the child
The difficulty of this circumstance lies in the fact that the baby may not immediately feel the bite and complain about its changed state. Naturally, this fact should not be underestimated, but it is unnecessary to panic ahead of time, all the more stress for a child against a background of a bite is even worse. Many parents come to the medical institution with their children complaining that the child was bitten by a tick. Far from each of them knows what to do in this situation. The algorithm of the necessary steps in this case is as follows:
- Be sure to wear gloves - so you eliminate the possibility of touching the cavity where the parasite's fluid is located.
- Dampen the place where the mite is located, with sunflower or other oil, as well as with gasoline or acetone.Often, the animal begins to get out of the wound, as he simply does not have enough air. Either it stops digging into the skin, and pulling it out will be much easier.
- Pull out the tick, just try to do it slowly and with concentration, so that parts of it do not remain in the wound.
- Certainly, it is necessary to thoroughly treat the bite site with any antiseptic, be it an alcohol-containing liquid or iodine.
Naturally, after all the procedures it is most logical to show the child to the doctor who will prescribe the necessary tests and studies. Yes, and the parasite if possible, return to the appropriate laboratory for further verification. Keep track of the condition and behavior of your baby for about a month. After this period, we can say that the danger has passed. Another very important point is that if a child is bitten by a tick, what should be done, you should know not only as a parent, but also he, so that you can give yourself first aid in time. Of course, we are already talking about a conscious age.
The behavior of adults and pregnant women with a tick bite
For adults, ticks are no less dangerous than for children.Of course, the sequence of actions in this situation is the same as in the case of a child. However, there are still some tricks to get rid of the parasite without consequences. So what to do if bitten by a tick?
The way of pulling out this animal directly depends on its structure. Remember that he has a proboscis, on which there are sharp notches. Therefore, when the tick is trying to just pull, often a certain part of it remains in the skin. A new problem arises: what to do if a tick bitten and a head remains? It can be directly removed as a splinter. It is necessary to take a red-hot needle, treat the wound with alcohol and try to pull out its contents. So, in order to avoid such a situation, pull out the parasite in a circular motion counterclockwise.
- It has already been mentioned that a special device or tweezers will help you with a tick best of all. When those are not at hand, use a regular thread. Tie a tight knot at the base of the tick, stretch the two remaining ends, and start the same circular motions.
- Remember that any part of the tick that remains in the wound can infect you.Therefore, the help of a doctor is inevitable here. Also, when trying to remove the parasite from the skin, try not to hurt him strongly, because the fluid of the crushed tick may also contain a virus that easily penetrates through minor abrasions or cuts.
When the analysis of the tick itself or yours turns out to be positive for the fact of virus content or infection, medicine suggests the introduction of a specific encephalitis vaccine or the use of drugs against borreliosis. They help the body produce special antibodies that will cope with the impending threat.
In any case, even if you are not specifically bitten by a tick, what to do, the symptoms of a developing infection should be known to everyone. It is important to be able to provide the necessary first aid.
There are such difficult cases when a pregnant woman has been bitten by a tick. What to do in this situation, the right to decide only the doctor, so as not to harm the fetus. The main difficulty lies in the fact that a woman who is in a position cannot be given any vaccines and it is undesirable to take drugs. All this has many side effects that somehow affect the growth and development of the baby.It remains only for her to closely monitor her condition for a month after the bite, and for any ailments, contact the doctor immediately. Of course, it is difficult to say how such an event will affect the child, but if the mother suffers, then the baby is in danger. Therefore, future mothers should take care of their safety long before conception, for example, to make a vaccine against encephalitis.
Pets: dogs and cats - how can they cope with a tick bite?
In the warm period, when pet owners are increasingly walking them outside, a large number of complaints of the following order arrive at the veterinary clinic: a puppy has been bitten by a tick, what should I do? The main danger of this situation is in infection of a quadruped friend with piroplasmosis. It is a disease that occurs in dogs due to the tick bite and is characterized by the simultaneous penetration of the protozoa into the body, which carry with it a killer virus. The later you find it and help your pet, the higher the chance of death. Often, even those drugs that are beginning to enter the dog veterinarians, no longer cope with the infection, as it took a long time.Therefore, if a puppy is bitten by a tick, what to do, every owner should know:
- Initially, so that such a situation does not arise at all, try after each walk to inspect and comb your pet.
- If you find a tick, unscrew it with tweezers or a thread, after dropping it with oil or gasoline.
- Treat the wound with an antiseptic.
- Be sure to contact the veterinary clinic. A four-legged friend will be tested (a smear of peripheral blood from the ear), which will indicate the possible presence of infection. In this case, the doctor will prescribe the necessary drugs.
What to do if the dog was bitten by a tick? Symptoms are the most important. Somewhere a month after this problem, watch her. Any deviation in behavior, fever, as well as a clear deterioration, expressed by the appearance of blood in the urine, yellowing of the eye proteins, are the first signs of piroplasmosis. Many dog breeders are interested in this question: what to do if a dog has been bitten by an encephalitic tick? If you live in a danger zone (i.e., at high risk of being infected with this virus), then immediately contact a veterinary clinic. The danger is that infection of dogs with piroplasmosis due to the bite of an encephalitic tick sometimes occurs in a matter of minutes.Does this fact depend on the breed and size of the dog? Doctors tend to a positive response. For example, York bit a tick, what to do? Yes, it is impossible to delay here, because this breed is at risk, i.e., in the event of infection, it will spread quickly and in the worst form.
In addition to Yorkshire terriers, the risk group also includes:
- Dogs younger than 2 years.
- Individuals older than 8 years (due to weak immunity).
- Breeds of small dogs, such as poodles. Although recently, veterinarians have noted a large number of cases of infection with piroplasmosis and large breeds.
- Dogs with short hair.
Not only dogs as pets are waiting for such a danger, cats too. Therefore, if a tick bitten a cat, what to do is described in detail below:
- Remove the parasite with a clamp or tweezers, scrolling its body counterclockwise.
- Treat the wound with an alcohol-containing liquid or iodine.
- Destroy the tick (burn or drown in boiling water).
- Be sure to show the animal to the vet, even if at first glance it seems that the danger has passed. There are cases when a cat has been bitten by a tick, and the owners know what to do.It seems that all actions are taken, but the pet eventually dies. Error - did not go to the veterinary clinic. The disease from the tick spreads in the animal's body at a rapid rate, and in this case only correct and timely prescribed medications will help. Many people begin to complain that they have toxic effects, but believe me, the result from the infection will be much worse.
Is it possible to prevent a problem called “A tick bitten a cat, what to do?”. Of course yes. After each walk, try to carefully examine the wool and skin. If possible, treat cats with special tick agents. When a tick is detected, try to remove it from the wound as quickly as possible.
Cattle and the tick problem
It would seem that a dangerous mite can bring a small tick to such a large animal as a cow? But veterinarians around the world have long decided the question: a tick bitten a cow, what to do? It is proved that in these cases, the probability of illness of both the animal itself and the clear contamination of milk is high. Therefore, in the season of attack with ticks of cattle (this summer), doctors try to treat their skin with special means, as well as carefully examine the herd after pasture.Remember that a virus found in raw cow's milk can easily penetrate the human body. Therefore, to avoid this problem, always boil the milk. And also choose proven manufacturers of dairy products, which closely monitor its safety.
Still, this type of parasite is the most common. The peak of its activity occurs at the end of spring and the beginning of summer. Just at this time it becomes sharply warm, and many people, completely forgetting about their safety, tend to relax in the forests and mountains. The behavior of an encephalitic tick is rather primitive: it can wait its victim for a long time on the leaves of trees or shrubs. Then sharply attacks the person passing by. Another tick really "likes" to crawl on shoes and clothes, and later cling to the skin. The parasite likes good weather - when it is dry and warm, then the probability of picking up this animal is great. If an encephalitis tick bit, what to do? The main thing is to consult a doctor in time. After all, timely treatment will help you. But if this is not possible, buy in a pharmacy the means "Yodantipirin", which must be taken in the first hours after the bite. Then the subsequent vaccination against encephalitis is not needed.What to do if bitten by a tick, at home? Just try to pull it out and treat the wound with an antiseptic. When everything is behind, destroy the parasite or take it to a laboratory for research.
How to protect yourself from tick bites?
As you know, any situation can be avoided. So with this problem: take all possible measures in order not to look for an answer to the question what to do if a tick bitten. Remember a few simple rules.
- If you want to visit a forest or mountainous terrain, try to do it in a cooler time when ticks are not so active.
- When you get out on nature, dress as closed as possible. Clothing should hide all exposed areas of the body and cover it.
- Understand one thing: a tick can sit on clothes for a long time and only then get over the skin. Therefore, when you come home from a walk, be sure to look at yourself, and keep doing this for several hours. Pay special attention to the scalp, groin, neck.
- Before the walk, purchase and use special protective equipment. They cover the skin with a thin layer on which the tick can not just sit down.Buy repellents intentionally against ticks.
- You can protect yourself - get vaccinated against encephalitis. But not all doctors support this idea, saying that there are sometimes more side effects from it than from the bite of an infected tick itself. Yes, and the child is not always suitable. Plus, there are other viruses that carry these parasites.
Often, people know how to deal with a situation: a tick bitten what to do. Photos of many of them are presented in the media and literature on various parasites. Sometimes doctors note the following: there is no tick on the skin, and there is an infection in your body. This happens if you inadvertently tore the parasite from the skin. This is dangerous, as the infection is easily brought in and through minor abrasions on your body. It is also important to know that a tick can get into your home with pets or outerwear. Small rodents (mice and rats) that can carry ticks are also dangerous. When it comes to the garden or yard area, you can conduct an experiment: a white cloth on the existing bushes. Sometimes it turns out that ticks attach to it.